cranky Z3

Donna,

I'm not a mechanic, so be careful listening to me!

Check engine light in my '92 325i means an emissions problem, thus why
the dealer said you can drive it.  A check of your computer fault codes
(pressing the accelerate 5 times quick activates it on mine--someone
here ought to know how you get yours--or search the digest) will
probably reveal something like bad O2 sensor, but that's about a
70K-100K problem--might be yours, but it sounds like the gas change may
have attenuated the problem.

I'd used Mobile, running into stuttering problems with it (I'd thought
the 'detergent' would keep my injectors clean)--but switched back to
Amoco (BP now) and it seems much better.  BTW, I'd had new O2 sensor
replaced within the year, so know the gas can make a difference.

I also commit the sin of using an injector cleaner periodically--some
say it's not good (I'd used Techron and more recently "Blaster" but will
probably go back to the Techron after the recent discussion here about
these cleaners).

Oh, I'd also thought just a bad tank of gas--could be the 76 station
doesn't get 'fresh' gas as often, so maybe find a higher volume station
(again, I'd heard this hint from someone and really can't say whether
gas sitting too long in a station can go bad...but I bet they don't use
gas stabilizer in it).

Cordially,

Doug