RE: M42 Stumbling -- Cam Timing?

Tom,

I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but I sincerely appreciate
your help. Your posts help me look at the problem from a different angle.

I got to thinking about the cam timing, and I think if it were something
mechanical like that, it would be consistent; if one of the cams or the
crank had slipped a little bit, it should happen all the time within a given
set of conditions, and it doesn't. I'm not ruling it out, just moving it to
the backburner. The fault is too inconsistent in my mind for that to be at
the top of the list.

This morning on a hunch I popped the hood to look at the coolant temp sensor
on the block that provides input to the computer (before, I mistakenly
called the fan relay the coolant temp switch because when I ordered a
coolant temp switch at the dealer they sold me a fan relay and called it a
coolant temp switch). Anyhow, the spring clip that holds the wiring harness
to the sensor was missing. I tugged on the connector, and the idle speed
went way up. I pushed it back down, and the idle smoothed out a little bit.
Drove it to work, and it ran smoother than it has in two months.

I don't know that I'm out of the woods yet. It's not as smooth as it could
be, and as you indicated the Cat might be having problems because of the
over-rich mixture that's been running thru it for the last few weeks. I'm
going to redo what I thought I paid the BMW dealer to do, and go through all
the contacts and sensors very carefully again. I missed the coolant temp
sensor the first time through and may well have missed something else. I'm
also going to look at the position sensor, per your suggestion, particularly
where it plugs in to the black box under the intake manifold. The symptoms
sure seem to point to an intermittent fault in something that the computer
uses to adjust timing.

The throttle position sensor is an interesting idea. The throttle does catch
a little bit sometimes, but I thought it was just a sticky cable.

The thing that's odd about all this in my mind is that it sure seems like an
intermittent fault in the sensors providing feedback to the computer; I
would expect that any sensor errors or out of spec conditions in inputs to
the computer would be recorded and reported as error codes, but the mechanic
said there were no stored codes.

Thanks again for your help. I sure hope I can get this worked out. It's a
good little car.

Shaun Dustin