E36: Clunking in center column at 1250 rpm

Has anyone experienced the above symptoms? I have this in second gear on my
five-speed, it occurs in 3rd gear at higher rpms. It has gotten
progressively worse. I have an O2 sensor I need to change, and this
happened after the O2 sensor. But it seems more mechanical. Perhaps it
might be the front flex disk getting ready to go? I figured I'd ask around
before I dove into it. The car has about 120K mi and is a 1996 convertible.