starting a 325is

Okay, here's one for you:
Yesterday afternoon, on a relatively mild day (read melting and mud
everywhere), I started my 1988 325is after last using it the night before
without incident.  It started right up, but stalled about 3 seconds later.  No
more starting it for the day.  I tried repeatedly, but time being against me, I
gave up and took my other vehicle.  I tried again when I returned, about 2
hours later. No go. And again, about 4 hours later before I went to sleep.  The
engine would crank over, but would not fire.  This morning, 8 hours later in 13
degree temperatures, it started right up.  I let it idle for a minute then
drove it to the end of the block and back (about 1/2 mile), parked it and shut
it off.  Immediately tried to restart it.  It did start but stalled within 3
seconds.  Now it won't start again.  A car that will start only once every 8
hours?  Bad car!
Any suggestions to help fix this thing?  TIA

Gary A.