Does this sound like a failing halfshaft?

Hi all, I have an '87 325is (5-speed) that has 280,000 km and has been bulletproof--a wonderful car.

I have just heard a pretty loud 'click' sound that is coming from the area of the left rear wheel hub and I wonder if anyone has
had experience with this problem.

The click occurs once per wheel revolution when accelerating moderately or hard in any gear, and also when decelerating with the
car in gear using engine braking to slow the car down. It does not occur when coasting or when driving under light throttle. The
sound is a single sharp 'click' once for each revolution of the rear wheel. If I stick my head out of the window the sound sounds
like it is coming directly from the left rear wheel hub area. It does not sound like it is coming from underneath the car from the
differential area.

My diagnosis is a bad halfshaft CV joint. Anybody have any other suggestions?
I bought the car at 225,000 kms and do not know whether the half shafts are original.