Re: E30 shifter problems

Adam Lazur <adam@domain.elided> wrote:

> Norman Lieberman (lieb923@domain.elided) said:
> > The magic answer is Redline MTL fluid.
>
> Ah, the plot thickens...
>
> While it was in for the clutch a month ago, I told em to let me know
> what they think about the transmission b/c it whines a bit. The mechanic
> looked at it and said that the oil was too thin ("like motor oil") and
> that he changed it.

I've got news for you.  Gear oil used in most transmissions is
only about as thick as motor oil.  Gear oils use a different
scale than motor oils do.  A 75w90 gear oil is close to a 10w40
motor oil, if I recall correctly.  ATF is even thinner and
many BMW manual transmissions call for that.

> He explained that it was a routine thing, and that I should
> change it every 2 years or so (I've had the car 2.5 years and
> hadn't had it done, so it sounded alright to me).

This is correct.  You just have to make sure you put the
correct stuff in there.  Check your User's manual and here
to figure out what the correct fluid should be.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner