brake pads

william:

here's my two cents.  take it for what it's worth.

use street pads on the street and dedicated track pads for your track
weekend.  you may want to buy a second set of rotors to use during you track
weekend.

each brake pad is otpimized for certain operating conditions.  the street
pad will heat up too much on the track and will wear prematurely.  by the
end of the weekend, the street pad will probably be shot and you'll be
buying a second set of street pads

the track pad will not warm up sufficiently on the street to be your best
choice.  furthermore, a "too cool" track pad will prematurely wear your
rotors.  meaning you'll be buying the second set of rotors anyway.

if you buy the dedicated pads and rotos, it's simply having the correct tool
for the job.

if you learn to swap rotors and pads yourself, you can avoid the higher cost
at the dealership, learn a little bit about your car, and enjoy the feeling
of becoming a bit more mechanically competent (maybe you already are, but
for me, it was a great learning experience).

for pads, try www.bimmerworld.com or www.turnermotorsports.com.  either one
will have good price and put you into a suitable set of pads.

gary vetick
omaha, nebraska