318i/m42 with stumbling problems

Well, here we go again. I've been trying to chase down the gremlins in my
'91 318i (m42 engine) for about a month now. Thanks to all who provided
advice earlier, but the problem still won't go away. It's stumbling through
the whole rpm range, most notably under load. It gives a little "pop" now
and then in the exhaust note at idle, and it seems a little gutless on hard
acceleration-stutters and surges.

I've replaced the ICV, the plugs and the O2 sensor, and I can feel a
difference but the core problem is still there. I'm replacing the temp
sensor (coolant) today, and I think that will cover everything that provides
feedback to the computer, except for the position sensor. I checked the
coils, and they are all reading between .7 and .8 ohms resistance on the
primary side-within spec. Next on my list is replacing the vacuum lines,
then plug wires, then coils. Any comments or any other ideas what the
problem might be would really be appreciated, especially if they keep me
from having to spend too much more on things that come in little tiny boxes.
Is there any way to check the plug wires before dropping $120 on a new set?
Thanks
Shaun Dustin

End of bmw-digest V9 #2378