Re: Cold weather and the 524TD

I would like to warn for the use of synthetic oil in older cars. I mean
engines that allready did quite some miles on mineral oil have build up some
sort of deposits on piston rings and valves and so on. These deposits
actually serve as a sealing compound. If you change over to synthetic oil
all these deposits will dissolve eventually resulting in a much cleaner
engine. It sounds very nice but you must be aware that the oil consumption
will rise dramatically even using 10W40 synthetic oil and worse using 0W40
synthetic oil. It could be the compression will actually become lower by
which starting your diesel becomes even more difficult. My 525tds started
its life on synthetic 5W40 having an oil consumption of 1 litre every 3000
miles, which is unchanged after 100 kmiles. Much higher then my old 525tds
which used 1 litre every 8000 miles on mineral 10W40 oil after 200 kmiles.
Still I do not consider changing to mineral oil again because synthetic is
much better for cooling the turbo as it does not form cokes on overheating.
Just some thoughts to consider when talking about oil.

kind regards,

Paul de Jong
The Netherlands
1971 Stag MkI LHD  manual OD (LD2292LO)