<E28> 02 Sensor broken wire.. Possible additional source?

Hi All,

Today I was getting the exhaust system looked at due to the little fire, and
having another hangar put in.  When the car was up on the hoist, I was
looking at the undercarriage, and noticed that the O2 sensor had one of the
wires broken.  There were 3 wires, 1 black, 2 white, and one  of the white
ones was broken off.    I am wondering if this is also contribuiting to the
lean running condition of the car... Anyone know?

Secondly Is the O2 sensor calibrates specifically for the car, or is it an
interchangable one that is used for other cars as well.

As for the exhaust.,  I had them add some heat sheilds around the resonators
to make sure it doesnt happen again, though I doubt it will since the lean
condition seems to have disappeared.

The car runs a lot smoother now, accelerates a lot better, and seems to be
using less gas.

Cheers
Ron J
85 535i