Re: Cold weather and the 524TD

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Melinda Vasil wrote:
>
> > Last November, I purchased an '85 BMW 524TD.  My problem is - this
> > does not seem to be a good winter car (so far, in my experience).
> > I wondered if you had problems starting your 524TD in cold
> > weather?  Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.  It seems
> > anytime the temperature dips below freezing, my car just refuses
> > to start.  Any suggestions??  Thanks!

I have an '82 Mercedes 300cd that I use in cold weather; perhaps some
of the tips I've learned apply to the 524.

1) Assuming the engine has mechanical lifters, make sure the valve lash
is right on spec or even a little loose. Compression is critical to get
a cold diesel engine started, so you don't want any tight valves
hanging up and robbing the engine of that compression.

2) Use Mobil synthetic oil. Delvac 1 is the best but I know people who
use Mobil 1 as well. The lighter cold viscosity of synthetic oil lets
the starter spin the engine faster. Mobil 1 has a new 0w-40 oil out
there, I'm told, although I haven't seen it on the shelves at Wal-Mart
yet. Delvac 1 can be similarly hard to find, but many truck stops carry
it.

3) Make sure your glow plugs are working right. The Bosch plugs in my
Mercedes are supposed to have less than 1 ohm impedance. Beyond that,
and it's time to replace them.

4) When starting, give the glow plugs plenty of time to warm up. When
temperatures drop into the teens I often glow the engine of my Merc for
90 seconds.

Hope this helps

Russ Maki
Ixonia, Wis.