RE: hard top for e30 ic

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Aceto, Anthony J. wrote:

> The way I understand it, the ic was built differently than the
> standard e30 sedan to account for a lack of structural integrity
> resulting from the lack of a roof structure.
>
> It was heavier and has a different suspension.  I'm sure someone
> with greater knowledge than I can confirm this and have more
> detail.

 The ragtop is only 1 or 2 hundred pounds heavier.  That's not much of
a penalty for the ragtop experience.  :)
 The differences I've noticed are thus:

 * different front windows - see this picture:
<http://www.baye30.net/gallery/jan6/images/06.jpg> The hardtop window
opens all the way to the front.  The ragtop window does not.  The
front triangle window near the mirror is fixed.  The small support
there is undoubtedly to lend extra strength.

 * Large steel channels welded into the bottom of the door frame.
Add strength that is lacking from the roof.  Increases stepover
height.  The ragtop holds more water!

 * (not sure of this one) There's no pass-thru into the trunk.  The
ragtop has 2 barriers between cabin & trunk - 1 that is the seatback,
and another vertical support directly behind forming a small dead
space where you can stash your weed.  er, um, nothing I mean.

 * The suspension is about an inch lower for the ragtop.  It's not
exactly a sport suspension though.  There is some body roll.  Here's
me at the auto-x:
<http://www.baye30.net/gallery/02-7-13/18.html>
compare to the lean that Dave gets with his M3-suspended ragtop:
<http://www.baye30.net/gallery/02-7-13/28.html>

> 54 21 1 972 760  Black
> 54 21 1 972 764  Pearl Beige
> 54 21 8 100 297  Dark Blue
> 54 21 8 100 299  Dark Brown

 D'oh!  which color do I get for my green ragtop?!?
I guess I'd choose black.  There's no way I'd try to retrofit a cutoff
top.  Waay too much trouble.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro