Re: first bimmer - general questions

>1) Brakes
>Normal days the first hit of the brakes the seems to bee a lot of travel
>before I feel the grab.  The second pump brings the pedal grab point much

Sounds like they need bleeding -- or more.

>4) Radio
>Crackly volume knob.  I thought about replacing the whole unit to take
>advantage of MP3 compatible units anyway.  I hear the sound system can be a
>mess to put anything else into.  Any experience out there with this?

I "fixed" the problem for a year or so by removing and disassembling the
radio and cleaning the potentiometer.  I eventually replaced the whole head
unit.  I reco just replacing it - it's 15 years old.    Mess?  Well,
anytime you splice in about 15 connections behind the dash it gets a little
messy.  Not really a problem, however.

>5) Stiff Shifter
>Very stiff shifter when cold.  There's relatively new Castrol oil in the
>tranny.  Would Redline make any difference?

Yes - no question - switch to redline.