first bimmer - general questions

Hello All,

First, many thanks to everyone for all of your advice in my search for my
first BMW.  I ended up buying an '88 325is from a list member and have been
very happy with it so far.

Now that I'm getting used to the car, I have a bunch of questions about what
is normal and what I need to fix, and how. I appreciate any advice - or
links to other how-to instructions - that you can offer.  I did get a
Bently's and have been going through it to learn about all the systems and
mechanics, but am hoping for some weathered experience from all of you out
there.

Here's the list:

1) Brakes
Normal days the first hit of the brakes the seems to bee a lot of travel
before I feel the grab.  The second pump brings the pedal grab point much
closer to the top.  Normal, or needs bleeding (or other fix)?  Now, on wet
days the problem is greatly exaggerated.  I first discovered this on a wet
(freezing rain) highway drive when I tried to slow for a left-lane granny
and had no grab, even while I was pushing hard.  This symptom repeated a
number of times on this trip - in all driving styles, but always cold and
wet.  I've since learned that E30's have this wet brake problem, but normal
couldn't be this bad. ...

2) Thump/vibration
There's a wiggly soft thump thump thump that is barely audible, but I can
feel it in the wheel and the floor (but not the brake pedal).  This is much
more noticeable in powered left turns (highway speeds)  I asked the original
owner about shocks and parts up front, and he told me the fronts shocks were
relatively new, but when the lower control arm bushings were replaced 3
years ago the associated bushings were not replaced.

3) OBC
Does an 88 325is have an OBC I or II?  I replaced the light (thanks to
unofficialbmw.com FAQ!) , but can't seems to get the ave. MPG or ave. Speed,
or Range to reset.  All I get is the dashes on the screen.  Although,
sometimes when I'm turning the car off, I get a split second flash of
data.....

4) Radio
Crackly volume knob.  I thought about replacing the whole unit to take
advantage of MP3 compatible units anyway.  I hear the sound system can be a
mess to put anything else into.  Any experience out there with this?

5) Stiff Shifter
Very stiff shifter when cold.  There's relatively new Castrol oil in the
tranny.  Would Redline make any difference?

6) Parts
I'm looking for a trim piece for the front spoiler.  It's the lowermost
part.  I think it's called the chin spoiler and was originally black rubber.

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice for what seems to be a
long-term labor of love.

End of bmw-digest V9 #2365