re: Brake Squeel, an enlightened approach.

jk writes:
>re: Brake Squeel.  Not squeal, _Squeel.  As in Eek.  Not eak as in speak.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=squeal&r=2

squeal
Pronunciation Key  (skwl)
   v. squealed, squeal7ing, squeals
   v. intr.

       1.To give forth a loud shrill cry or sound.
       2.Slang. To turn informer; betray an accomplice or secret.

So much for the English lesson.

>Did you clean the cosmoline coating off the new rotors before installing them?
>The rotors may look like fresh clean metal, but if you don't clean the
>cosmoline coating

Huh? We all know what cosmoline looks like on our engine.
It can not be mistaken for something that is clear.

I have bought BMW rotors that had a gray coating on it.
Some people will sand it off, others don't. I did not the last time I
changed my rotors. I have seen some BMW rotors with an oily substance
which is easily removed with a rag.

The squeal is a high pitch vibration, not metal against metal as I
once thought in my pre-bimmer days.

With my little knowledge of cars, I do know changing brake pad
compounds can sometimes glaze a rotor, it is new. A few hard stomps
on the brakes take care of that.

Some ways I have got rid of squeal as Alex also mentioned.
  o bezel the edges of the pad slightly
  o use the shims supplied with some brake pads

And what always works for me
  o turn the radio volume up

...steven

318ti registry http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/registry/