Re: Door cylinders?

"NOTES_TP.GREATLAKES.ggrigg" <ggrigg@domain.elided> wrote:
> Are they HANDED?

???

> Can you swap the worn out one for the "unused" one on the passenger
> side?

Kinda, though it's probably easier, cheaper and faster to rebuild the
offending lock cylinder.
Depending on the model (I never had an E34), the driver side lock cylinder
is designed to turn 90 vs 45 degrees to actuate double locking feature. At
least that's how my E30 locks worked (E36s double lock from the driver
side all the time).
So you could swap the lock cylinders, but may need to a). re-orient the
levers; b). possibly give up the double locking feature.
Instead, you can buy a lock cylinder rebuild kit from the dealer (around
$30 in the US the last time I needed one). Than rebuild them yourself in
under 2 hours first time through, probably 30 minutes next time. Add
another hour or two to take the cylinder out of the door if you have never
done that before.

alex f