From: alex.fadeev@domain.elided [mailto:alex.fadeev@domain.elided]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 10:56 AM
To: David Rich
Cc: bmw-digest@domain.elided; owner-bmw@domain.elided
Subject: Re: 318i - Rear brakes have no line pressure

"David Rich" <richd@domain.elided> wrote:
> This weekend I decided to try out my new power bleeder on the 1984
> 318i. The directions were easy to follow until I noticed something
> very strange when I started to bleed the passenger rear brake. There
> was no pressure when I opened the bleeder valve, only a couple of
> drops of brake fluid came out. I thought this was strange so I
> re-checked the Bentleys for the bleeding procedure. Both back brakes
> are on one circuit so I tried the drivers side rear brake and saw
> the same reaction. Only a few drops of brake fluid came out. The
> power bleeder was reading 12 pounds of pressure during this whole
> time. I moved to the front brakes and both sides bled just as I
expected.

> I suspect that I have a bad master cylinder, am I on target in my
analysis?

David,
When was the last time you bleed you brakes? Is this the first time you
are bleeding them in a new-to-you car?
I had a similar problem with one of my wife's E30 rear calipers. I just
could not get anything but a drop per minute to come out. That was until I
cranked the pressure up to 20 psi. More fluid came out. Some from the
caliper, some from the brake reservoir seals ;-). After replacing the
seals and trying again, I finally dislodged the crap that was blocking the
brake lines.
All that time the other three calipers would bleed without any problems.

alex f