Re: E30 vs E28

Dear Shaun -

Well, you are comparing apples and pears here!
I realize that the E30 is generally acknowledged as a (potentially at least)
rather sporty and nifty little thing. I have driven a few, but newer owned
one, though.
However, I have owned a total of four E28's (European: 518i, 520i and two
525i),
and I can ony say: these are very very nice cars. These are larger cars that
will give
you by far the superior comfort on longer drives. Don't sniff at their
capabilities, though:
an E28 with the appropriate suspension setup it actually a quite
well-handling beast!
Now, I have newer driven the US 528e - in terms of performance I guess this
one and
the E30 318i must be rather incomparable, inasmuch as the engine
constructions
are so very different. The big difference is *smoothness*, though - or if
you wish:
six versus four!
I remember in particular a situation way back (in 1986 actually): after my
at that time
E21 323i had taken a direct hit from a six o'clock incoming Golf GTI, I
rented an
E30 320i. Very nice engine indeed, but I remeber sniffing at the feeling of
the interior plastic
trim! If you compare the quality of an end-eigthies 5-series with that of a
3-series, there
is *no* doubt about which one takes the prize! The E28 is a very well built
car indeed!
Maintenance, well: the suspension parts wear out: the suspension is nimble,
and you pay for this.
It is a somewhat heavier car than the E30: my guess is the parts are about
the same
price, but you will have to exchange at least the suspension parts on a more
regular
basis on the E28. Remember to look for rust in the petrol tank and rust in
the front wings also!
The engines - particularly the "big-block" sixes - are nearly unbreakable!
Btw: which were the E28 models imported to the US? Do you see the 535i over
there?
Today, the E28 535i (european) makes a very good offer - if you can find one
that has not
been misused, that is! Good hunt!

Tore Vulpius
Denmark