Re: E30 vs E28

> Im thinking about selling my 91 318i and picking up an 88 528e. I realize

I've owned both.

> I wont be moving up on the Sporty scale, but it sure looks like a nice

Correct.

> car. Ive been very interested on the eta engine comments over the last

It is.

> few days. Any comments on what I can expect in going from the E30 with the
> M42 to an E28 would be appreciated. Is it really going to take the fun out
> of driving a BMW, or since Im going from a 4 to a 6, will it pretty much be
> an even swap? Im supposed to go take a look at  next week, and Id like to
> get some advice/idea of whether I want to do this before I make the 5 hr
> round trip. How do parts cost/availability and maintenance on the E28
> compare to the e30 (I do my own work)?

The E30 318iS 16 valve is one of the most fun/$ cars ever
made and I adore mine. It's not just the high revving engine
it's the suspension and light weight too.

The 528e (or 525e in the UK but the same 2.7 engine) is also
a great car. But for different reasons. For a long journey
I'd take the eta, but for the twisties it's got to be the
318iS. I didn't enjoy my eta in back road driving, but my
318iS is too stiffly spring and buzzy for long journeys.

Both are good reliable cars and in a perfect world I'd want
both. Running costs will be similar. But the M42 is a better
engine, self adjusting tappets, no distributor, chain
instead of a timing belt, etc.

If I had a long motorway commute I'd want the eta. If I
enjoyed the side of the tacho above 5000 and hard corners
I'd get the 318iS.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!