E30 vs E28

Im thinking about selling my 91 318i and picking up an 88 528e. I realize
I wont be moving up on the Sporty scale, but it sure looks like a nice
car. Ive been very interested on the eta engine comments over the last
few days. Any comments on what I can expect in going from the E30 with the
M42 to an E28 would be appreciated. Is it really going to take the fun out
of driving a BMW, or since Im going from a 4 to a 6, will it pretty much be
an even swap? Im supposed to go take a look at  next week, and Id like to
get some advice/idea of whether I want to do this before I make the 5 hr
round trip. How do parts cost/availability and maintenance on the E28
compare to the e30 (I do my own work)?

Shaun Dustin, PE
Intrepid Technology & Resources
208-529-5337