Stumbling at low RPMs

Ive been lurking for a while, and now need some help. I have a 91 318i
E-30 with the M42 engine. In the last 50 miles or so, its started to have a
hard time at the low end of the RPM rangestumbling and missing, not much
power. I changed the fuel and air filters about 500 miles back, but other
than an oil change, those are the only recent changes. It only seems to
happen in the low end, between idle (750 RPMs) and 2500-3000 RPMs. I dont
feel it above 3000. I guess the best way to describe it would be
underpowered through that band with an occasional kick in the back as it
randomly fires correctly, if that makes sense. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Shaun Dustin, PE
Intrepid Technology & Resources
208-529-5337