Re: new member intro

"Doug Wright" <dgwright@domain.elided> wrote:

> >> I got an E30 a few months ago, and I'm trying to figure out what I
> >> want to do with it (i.e. how much time and money I want to put into
> >> building it up). It's an '86 base model 325, 5-spd, 2-door, with
> >> about 200k miles (the odometer is stuck at 184k). My dad bought it
> >> new, then my brother had it for a few years, so I know the history
> >> pretty well.
> >
> >Doug,
> >What you've got yourself is an E30 with an ETA economy oriented engine.
>
> So, what does that make the 318? :)

A dog! ;-)
No offense to the past, present and future 318 owners, whose ranks I may
join soon if I find the right 318ti Club Sport for a daily driver. M42/44
engines are actually very fun, efficient, reasonably powerful and high
revving.

> So, do all six-cylinder E30s have the ETA motor?

Nope, only the slow ones ;-)
IIRC, 121HP E30 Eta engines (M20B27) were supplied to the US market
between '85-'88, the last year being the marginally quicker 'super eta'.
'87-'91 ('92 for convertibles) E30s got the high reaving 168HP M20B25
engine.

> BTW, What does ETA stand for?

Greek letter for efficiency.

> I'm getting the impression that this motor is not worth building.

Yep.

> Is there a common engine to swap in place of this?

Sure, S52's (euro E36 M3) engines work very nicely if money is no object.

alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2355