Re: E34 tranny emits a burning smell

You probably have transmission fluid leaking out of a seal (like the rear
seal), and getting sprayed onto the exhaust system.  The only way to fix it
is to look at the transmission for signs of leaks, and get the seals
replaced.  If your transmission is coated with oil, you'll need to clean it
all off, because the leak(s) will become more obvious.

Look for signs of coated oil on the exhaust pipes.  They won't have a rusty
coating, they'll look dark, or even black (depending on how much fluid is
leaking).

Some other things to check:

On my M3, I've had brake fluid come out of the reservoir (hard use on the
track), and coat the exhaust, causing smoke.  I guess filling the reservoir
slightly above the high 'fill' mark isn't a good thing...

When I purchased my E34 525iT, the previous owner (or his shop) had
overfilled the power steering reservoir.  My car has the self-leveling rear
suspension system, which uses the power steering pump and reservoir for
fluid.  Well, the excess fluid came out around the cap, and coated many
things in the engine compartment.  You can tell if it's this special power
steering fluid, because it gets real thick and sticky, unlike brake fluid or
oil.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3