Wiper blades a dealer part?

I was looking around for replacement wiper blades ('99 528ti) this
weekend and I was very surprised to find that none of the local shops
stock them.  One of the guys in a local NAPA told me, "Forget it.
Many have tried, none succeeded.  Visit the dealer."

So, has anyone on the list got a solution?  The connection between
the wiper arm and the blade is indeed some strange beast.  But what
about swapping just the rubber itself?  That seemed to be more
standard and I can't believe there isn't a non-dealer way to replace
such a simple item.
		-Bob