Re:was resistor in the O2 loop now AFM flap shennanigans

John Bolhuis <bolhuijo@domain.elided> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 kohlbren-m-d@domain.elided wrote:
>
> > >  As for full throttle operation when the O2 sensor is ignored by the
> > > ECU, the AFM flap is fully open above 3000 RPM or so.  Adjusting the
> > > flap spring pressure a little will do nothing for you in the "fun
> > > zone" of RPMs and throttle.
> >
> > I don't deny that this could be true.  However, if it is, how,
> > then does the computer know how much fuel to squirt at WOT/high
> > rpm?
>
>  At WOT, the ECU relies on an internal map to deliver a given amount
> of fuel for a given RPM.  It tends to be on the rich side of stoic for
> safety.  (except above 6k RPM on my e30, where it tends to lean out)

So, at WOT, the ECU ignores pretty much everything except rpm
and maybe ambient air conditions?

It would follow, then, that only remapping the ECU will gain
any improvement at WOT and high rpm, when you really care
about maximizing power.

So all of this tweaking of the O2 sensor and AFM only has
potential to help enrich the mixture at part throttle and
relatively low rpm, correct?

I'll stick with stock or a reprogrammed chip...

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner