E30 central locking questions

Have read & surfed to figure out why my central locking is not working.
There is a small relay that does go click when I turn the key in the
cylinder, so the signal is going from the actuator into the bowels of the
car.

As I have a spare central locking control unit, it's simple to swap BUT you
have to FIND it.  Most information mentions that it is near the LF speaker
behind the kick panel.  I do not seem to be able to find it, despite
adequate lighting and wearing my glasses.  Is this is some "exceptionally
safe" place that I haven't understood.

My E30 is a touring but I can't see that it would be any different from a
cabrio, 2 door or 4 door.

Thanks in advance,

Gregory in Geneva