Re: Koni vs Bilstein for street E36

"Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided> wrote:

> I think the issue with Bilstein Sports riding on their bumpstops
> in the E36M3 only occurs when they are combined with shorter sport
> springs (like H&R Sports).  When used with stock springs (or even
> H&R OE Sports), they stay off the bumpstops.

Ron,
The issues is more complicated than that.
Short of writing a dissertation on the subject, I will just say that one
local poor Bilstein E36M3 victim (Lowell, if you had followed his story on
the E36M3 list) had taken his BS's apart at least half dozen times
trimming and eventually removing front bump stops altogether.
The car was riding on them with 1/2" shorter front Dinan springs and
bouncing off them after 1/2" of compression with stock '95 springs. I do
not remember which setup was more jarring. Bilstein really blew it with
E36M3 Sport shock piston length/bump stop combo.

alex f