Re: Check Brake Linings MSG

"Fred Kleytman" <fk51014@domain.elided> wrote:
> After changing all brake pads on 97 540i, I can not get rid of
> "Check Brake Linings MSG"
> I tried all known to me methods like keep ignition key for 30
> sec in pos. 2, disconnecting battery for few min. nothing seems
> to work. I still have Check Brake linings message on my display.
> What I am missing here?

Fred,
The OBC message is triggered by one of the two brake wear sensors. My
guess is that either your front driver or rear passenger wheel sensor is
worn through, unplugged or otherwise damaged. Inspect and replace the
sensors and the message will go away.
There is nothing to reset. The sensor is a simple wire with a plastic plug
embedding it into the inboard brake pads on the corresponding front/rear
wheels. When the pad wears, the wire is worn though as well interrupting
the flow of current and triggering the 'replace brake pads' OBC warning.
Primitive, but effective.

alex f