<E28> New ICV Installed. Car runs much better now.

Hi All,

Thanks for the input on the flecks of metal in the oil for my 85 535i.  I
will be looking into it when I get back to Toronto Canada.  Right now, the
car has new oil, and I just got back from driving down to Key West from Fort
Myers Florida.  What a beautiful drive.  The islands are great, and the New
Years Celebration was a blast!!  I did the drive yesterday afternoon (about
300 miles or so each way) and got there and back with no issues.  I checked
the oil before I left, and when I got back, and there wasnt a lesser amount
in the engine.  All seems good on that end.  No strange noises, and no
knocks.  BTW I ran into another E28 owner at the pumps on the way down, that
said " Nice Car" to me when I pulled up next to him to feul up.  His was an
86 528e with 240000 miles on the clock, and when my Girlfriend heard that,
and I made the calculation for her into kilometers, about 400000 kms, she
found a new respect for the car (since she is always doubting my praise for
the reliability of my 18 year old car, and constantly worrying about it
breaking down) It also boosted my confidence in the car, since mine only has
130,000 miles on the clock.

When I got back to Fort Myers. My new Bosch ICV was waiting for me, and I
changed it once the car cooled down a bit, and then restarted it and took it
for a drive.  The idle is much better now, and all of the running symptoms
seem to have been solved.. These included jumping idle at stop lights when
warm, stalling out, high idle (1100 RPM) and rough idle.  I am hoping to see
better gas mileage on the way home.  I was getting about 300 miles to every
$20 of gas going into the tank at an average of $1.70 a gallon.  We'll see
what it is like when I start the trip home tommorrow..  I still have the old
ICV and plan to open it up to see what makes it tick.. I like doing this
sort of stuff, and if I can completely clean and rebuild it, I may have a
good backup sitting in the trunk in case the new one fails (doubt that will
happen since its an original new bosch part).

Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that the advise was appreciated, and
how I solved the idle / stalling issue... Aaah no more having to jump out at
a stop light and rapidly open the hood to smack the ICV with a small wrench
to stop surging idle... Now for the long drive back to Canada, leaving
behind the balmy weather and trading it for cold and snow...

I hope everyone had a great New Years Celebration, and I wish everyone a
happy and prosperous New year!!

Ron Jordan
>From Toronto Canada.
85 535i