RE: jacking an E36

"Richard Potter" <potter@domain.elided> wrote:
> I also have a question about where to place the jack.  I have been
> using the rear differential as a jacking point to lift my '95 325i.

OK.

> It is of great convenience to be able to lift both rear wheels at
> the same time.

Absolutely!

> Am I risking damaging the final drive?  Thanks for your advice

Rich,
My guess is no.
The only concern I would have is about picking a good horizontal lifting
point on the diff casing.
I place my AC jack with a rubber hockey puck in the saddle right under the
rear axle carrier. The picture below may or may not help to visualize the
location: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/tools/all_jacking_and_supporting_your_car.html
But there is more than one way to skin the cat. Just remember to never
crawl under a car supported only by the jack. Put some jack stands first,
than dive in.

alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2322