Re: E36 camber questions

MichaelJAdair@domain.elided wrote:

> Back to the M3/E36 camber issue if I may-
>
> We have established that M3's have non adjustable front camber,
> this we know.

Agreed.

> We also know that there are ways to add negative camber that is
> not exactly savory.

If you mean the crash camber bolts, I would not call them unsavory.
The story with them is that:
1. they are BMW parts and thus attractive to SCCA stock class racers who
are restricted from modifying suspension pick up points by the SCCA rules.
Short of cheating and running camber plates, the puny crash bolts are as
good as it gets.
2. they are factory parts that only yield another 1/2 degree of camber -
way not enough: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/suspension/e36_camber_correction_bolts.html
3. The extra play that allows that 0.5 degree of camber introduces slop.
If you track your car, the crush bolts will loosen up. For a short while
you will have 'variable' camber front suspension. Shortly afterwords
you'll be in the market for a new strut housing.

> The question is what is the proper way to do it? (camber plates
> etc..)

Yes.
The next question is _which_ camber plates....

> and is it really necessary if I want a great handling street car
> that gets 2 track days a year?

Probably not!

> My 3.0 liter Milano Verde had adjustable a-arms and I had about
> -2 of negative camber and it made a huge difference! Any thoughts?

Everything you do to your car will be a compromise. Unless you take a
plunge and convert it into a track-only toy (aka a race car).
Short of that, extra negative camber will save your tire wear on track but
result in more inside tire wear on the street. There is no free lunch.

alex f