Back in a BMW!

Hi all,

My first BMW was a '94 E36 318i and, after three years and too much time in
non-german cars, I'm happy to say I broke down and recently bought a '97
318i -- it's SO good to be back in a real car with great poise and feel (I
can only imagine what the new ones are like). I looked at several cars,
including a new WRX, but couldn't part with the money for the quality (I
guess it was the seduction of 227 horses!).

At any rate, I'm wondering if someone out there can help me with a few
E36-related issues:

1. In my first 318, I installed an original Pioneer factory CD changer with
a round (DIN?) connector -- I'd like to use it again but this new car has a
square connector and I'm not keen on splicing and soldering. I had heard one
could buy an adaptor at somewhere as mainstream as Best Buy or Radio Shack
- -- does anyone have any advice? Or, is the splice job to make everything
work basic enough that even I could do it?

2. My original 318 had a limited slip diff. This new car is a pain in the
ass because I can't hang out the rear without A. the traction control coming
on or B.(having shut the traction control off) spinning the crap out of the
inside wheel. Is there a solution for this without having to replace the
rear diff? Barring that, is diff replacement a simple swap job? Any
pitfalls? Can someone recommend what type and availability of rear diffs?

3. Last question... One thing my wife wanted was heated seats... something
that's impossible to guarantee when buying a used car. I was wondering if
anybody out there knew whether or not seats installed in E36s came/come with
the heating elements already imbedded within the seat? In other words,
simply add switches and possibly the harness and I'd have an even happier
wife... I can't see BMW making six sets of seats -- leather with and without
heating, leatherette with and without heating, cloth with and without
heating -- just doesn't make sense... any ideas on this one?

I have other questions, but I won't bombard you all with them now. Suffice
it to say, it's nice to be back in a great car and reading the BMW digest
again! Any advice, comments or opinions would be much appreciated. If
possible, respond directly to me...

Grateful in New York,
Stephen
smostad@domain.elided