Re: Back in a BMW!

"Stephen Mostad" <smostad@domain.elided> wrote:

> My first BMW was a '94 E36 318i and, after three years and too much time
> in non-german cars, I'm happy to say I broke down and recently bought a
> '97 318i [...] At any rate, I'm wondering if someone out there can help
> me with a few E36-related issues:

Stephen,
Welcome back to the flock!
;-)

> 1. In my first 318, I installed an original Pioneer factory CD changer
> with a round (DIN?) connector -- I'd like to use it again but this new
> car has a square connector and I'm not keen on splicing and soldering.

There was a change in E36 radio suppliers around the '96 MY. I forgot
which way it went: either Pioneer was dumped in favor of Alpine or visa
versa. At any rate, one brand's change is incompatible with the other
brand's head unit.

> I had heard one could buy an adaptor at somewhere as mainstream as Best
> Buy or Radio Shack -- does anyone have any advice? Or, is the splice
> job to make everything work basic enough that even I could do it?

The adopters are out there to splice in aftermarket components into the
BMW wiring.
www.crutchfield.com is one commonly quoted source.

> 2. My original 318 had a limited slip diff. This new car is a pain
> in the ass because I can't hang out the rear without A. the traction
> control coming on or B. (having shut the traction control off)
> spinning the crap out of the inside wheel. Is there a solution for
> this without having to replace the rear diff?

Nope.

> Barring that, is diff replacement a simple swap job?

Yep.

> Any pitfalls? Can someone recommend what type and availability of rear
diffs?

Used LSD diffs go for $250-350 depending on milage, condition and
availability.
I do not remember off the top of my head what 318's stock rear diff
gearing is, but you can always go with an equivalent LSD diff from another
318. Better yet, call around and find a lower geared diff (numerically
higher gear ratio) that will add some pep to your sled.

> 3. Last question... One thing my wife wanted was heated seats...
> something that's impossible to guarantee when buying a used car. I
> was wondering if anybody out there knew whether or not seats installed
> in E36s came/come with the heating elements already imbedded within
> the seat?

Nope.
But you can buy a retrofit kit from either BMW or aftermarket.
Taking the seat apart and placing the heat packs is major PITA if I
remember correctly.

> In other words, simply add switches and possibly the harness and I'd
> have an even happier wife...

MUST refrain from commenting on the above sentance...
;-)

> I can't see BMW making six sets of seats -- leather with and without
> heating, leatherette with and without heating, cloth with and without
> heating -- just doesn't make sense... any ideas on this one?

Yeah, the heat backs are just that. They were optionally inserted into the
heated seats. Non heated did not get them.
Oh, and BMW does not make the seats. Nor much of anything other than the
engine and the tub!

good luck,
alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2319