Re: Jack stand placement on '92 325i

"Douglas M. Max" <DMax@domain.elided> wrote:
> Sorry for the presumably "silly question" but where can I safely
> put jack stands under a '92 325i while I'm changing the oil...and
> if you know of places in the rear too, I'd love to hear them.
> I see only the four 'jacking discs'--those black rubber circles--the
> manual says use them only for jacking...and Bently doesn't show a place
> for the stands.

Doug,
There are no silly questions. Only silly answers!
The best place to put the jack stands is right under the plastic jacking
pads. Unfortunately, 99% of the consumer jack stands come with 'u' shaped
saddles. There is no way to securely rest your car on that saddle with the
factory plastic pad in place. You can either buy jack stands with saddles
designed to accommodate the BMW plastic pads
(http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html). Or do what I did and pop the
plastic pads off and place one horn of the standard 'u' saddle into the
jack pad hole. Now the stands are securely supporting the car. I still
give the car a good push in both directions before I taking the wheels off
and climbing underneath.
The next question you might have is how to place the jack stands under the
factory mounting points if you are already using those points for raising
the car?
Your choices are to either buy and use Steve D's jack plate (make sure
your jack's saddle is wide enough to accommodate the plate!) or jack the
car up under the front/rear subframe. To avoid scratching the subframe and
to spread the load, I put a $1 hockey puck into my jack saddle before I
slide it under the car.

Hope this helps,

alex f