e34 Factory CD changer - Skips

Has anyone had skipping problems with the factory Alpine cd changer?  I'm not talking about skipping when the car hits a bump, the skipping I'm experiencing happens when the car is on smooth pavement, or even at a dead stop.

I've removed the unit from the car, opened the cars and performed a cleaning and inspection (I'm a former consumer electronics tech).

I cannot attribute the skip to temperature related, as it happens during the summer as it does in the winter.

Any suggestions?  Should the unit be sent back to Alpine?

Thanks!

End of bmw-digest V9 #2307