Greasy Brakes

I Wrote>> Buy a Bentley manual and go for it.  Many people forget to use
silicone
grease on the slider pins.
[snip]
and the reply>>
I assume the slider pins are what are referred to as guide bolts.
My Bentley manual says not to lubricate them.
Perhaps it's different on a 7-Series than a 3-Series.>>

I think I just always grease any sliding surface,, tho I suggested a
Bentley,I think I just pulled that recomendation out of my butt!

I still like to grease anything that slides..I put a little on the caliper
where the pads slide too.

David Leonard(guilty of making things up on occasion)

At last count I owned about 12 different types of grease:

Synthetic brake grease
Mercruiser Special lube 101..really cool green grease
Echlin Dielectric grease
Salt water resistant trailer grease
All pupose grease
Lithium grease.. both spray and can
Moly grease for CV joints
Synthetic grease in a tube for general use
Wheel bearing grease
Special spline grease for Mercruiser stern Drives(Blue grease)
Ignition grease for points..obsolete grease
K-Y water based lube for.....entertaining women..too much is JUST RIGHT!
and this doesn't count wd-40 , triflow, penetrating oil, 3 and 1 oil, sewing
machine oil, Boeshield,  corrosion protector,fogging oil for winterizing
boats,synthetic and dino lower unit oils,  gear oil, Airplane oils in 30 and
50 weights(both ashless dispersant and straight mineral), some gallons of
15-40 Rotella, regular 10-40 Penzoil, ATF,Type F ATF,  Brake Fluid, PS
fluid,  Hydraulic trim oil, Mil 5606 aircraft hydraulic and brake fluid,
olive oil, Wesson Oil, Pam, Hydraulic jack oil, teak oil, linseed oil, Two
stroke oil for outboards, two stroke for chainsaws, two stroke for
snowmachines...I'm sure I missed something!  Oh yeah, both copper and
regular Never sieze...spray silicone, got to get some graphite chain lube
spray..

And you ought to see my glue collection..Resorcinol, wood, marine tex(both
gray and white), various 5 minute and slow cure epoxies, West epoxies with
varios fillers..microballoons, colloidal silica,flox,  3m 5200(you could
DEFINITELY glue an enemy's car door shut with a caulking gun full of this
stuff in the door crack..from outside a locked car..just the thing for late
night revenge..the QC stuff kicks in 1 hr, and it is totally
unremovable..like the polyurethane that they glue windshields in.. ..and
two kinds of two part structural polyurethane glues..various weaterstrip and
marine bellows contact cements, carpet cement, liquid nails construction
glue..pvc pipe glue..Goop(nice for gluing convertible tops), spray adhesive,
Splash Zone epoxy(just about bulletproof) Bondo in featherlite, and chopped
strand, nitrostan surfacing putty, ...

and sealers..silicone, moilysulfide, loctite blue, red, and 510 hi temp
flange, aviation gasket sealer, tite seal(still got the good stuff with real
asbestos), PTFE pipe dope, brake pad anti squeal(whoops this is really a
glue category), Hi tack gasket seal in spy(good stuff)..

I would say I'm addicted to gunk! I gotta build more shelves!