Re: fuel pumps

TIMMJON@domain.elided wrote:
> Hey, I have an 86 325E 6 cylinder.  I need both fuel pumps replaced.
> I have an 84 parts car I found.  Can I use the pumps?  Sorry I am not
> more info rich, I am new to this sort of thing.

Tim,
My ETK CD shows '86 325e's fuel pump as PN: 16 14 1 178 751.
It is sold in conjunction with a pre-supply pump PN: 16 14 1 1 79 232.

The '84 parts car could not be an Eta. Those started in '85. Thus it is
likely a 318i with a four cylinder M10 engine. Surprisingly, the ETK lists
the same fuel pump part #s for that car, but I would triple check before
picking those up.

> I have the bentley book, (because of the recommendations of this list)
> and will do the work myself.  Any helpful hints on how to proceed?

No smoking ;-)
Make sure you order new seals.
If the fuel lines are original, they are likely rotten and very brittle.
Dealer will sell you new lines by foot at reasonable prices. I would buy
enough to replace all of the fuel hoses throughout the car.
Also make sure to stock up on 3/4" clamps as the OE ones are likely of
disposable variety.

> I need to take out the back seat?

IIRC, yes.

good luck,