Re: E39 - "Check Brake Linings" Alert...

"Dave Castine" <davecastine@domain.elided> wrote:
> OK - My very knowledgable car has informed me it's time to get new
> rotors/pads for it. Having been an American car fan (60's Mopars) for
> years I got used to doing most of the maintenance type of repairs to
> my cars myself. Now that I've evolved (?) into a BMW owner - I'd still
> love to do this type of work when I have the chance. I have a few
> questions - are these brakes as straight forward as most cars?

Dave,
Absolutely!

> Should parts be purchased thru my local dealer or do you have a
> favorite parts source (like in the Roundel)?

Having personally tried at least a dozen different pads from different
manufacturers, I would strongly suggest sticking with OEM
(Jurid/Pagid/Textar/etc) pads. Unless you have a really good reason not
to.
Call around to price shop. The local dealer(-s) will likely be the most
expensive. Mail order dealer advertising in the Roundel will be cheaper.
Aftermarket mail order houses the cheapest, but you absolutely have to
know what you want before you call them. With one exception: Steve D at
www.ultimategarage.com  His prices are competitive, but not the cheapest.
However, he never ever sells junk. Until you learn enough about BMW parts
to know exactly what you want yourself, rely on Steve's advise.

> Cross drilled rotors?

They look good, but unless they were _cast_ with the holes, will start
cracking around the drilling induced stress areas.
Oh, and they will cheese-grate eat your pads. I would skip on those.

Hope this helps,
alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2303