Re: antifreeze

"Sanders, Ron" <rls5@domain.elided> wrote:
> Tis the season.  Has anyone found a suitable coolant/antifreeze
alternative
> for BMW cooling systems?  Many manufacturers use aluminum and plastic
> cooling system parts similar to BMW that don't respond well to some of
the
> older corrosive coolant formulas.  If possible, I would like to avoid a
trip
> to the dealer for a jug of $10 coolant if I can buy a comparable
substitute
> at the local auto parts store.
>
> Ron Sanders
> RSanders@domain.elided
>
> 93 325is
> 92 525i

Ron,
After  local dealers bumping the price BMW antifreeze past $15/gallon I
asked the same question and got the replies enclosed at the bottom of this
message.
Long story short, I drained the BMW coolant out from all of my bimmers,
flushed the cooling systems thoroughly and filled it with orange Dex-Cool
that goes for around $6/gallon at WallMart.

YMMV,
alex f

"Gary Derian" <rlicolumbus@domain.elided> wrote:
Here is some good info and corroborates Dave's pH data.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us60024.htm  The orange Dex-Cool has a
pH
of about 8.3.  I have used it for 3 years and still have the original
radiator in my 135,000 mile, 11 year old car.  Of course, correlation,
especially a sample size of one, does not infer (or imply) causality.

Gary Derian