re: antifreeze

There is no "older corrosive formula".

There are two kinds of antifreeze, phosphate (the older formula) and
non-phosphate (the newer formula). It's not like phosphates are something
to avoid, there are just two ways of doing the job.

Either will protect iron and aluminum from corrosion; there is even some
evidence the older phosphate formulas are better in this respect. (ask
Cummins) But...

o Phosphate antifreezes lose their corrosion inhibitors quickly, and they
must be changed yearly. Non-phosphate coolants last for at least 3 years.

o The two types must not be mixed.

o BMW specifies Non-phosphate.

Because of the last two items, you should be using non-phosphate coolant
in your BMW's. (FWIW, all non-phosphate coolant sold in the US is licensed
by Texaco, which is a partner in the Equilon venture with the European
patent holder.) The easiest way to get phosphate-free coolant is to look
for a product that meets the US auto industry "Dex-Cool" specification. It
will always be orange.

- -tc

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:19:37 -0500
> From: "Sanders, Ron" <rls5@domain.elided>
> Subject: antifreeze
>
> Tis the season.  Has anyone found a suitable coolant/antifreeze
alternative
> for BMW cooling systems?  Many manufacturers use aluminum and plastic
> cooling system parts similar to BMW that don't respond well to some of
the
> older corrosive coolant formulas.  If possible, I would like to avoid a
trip
> to the dealer for a jug of $10 coolant if I can buy a comparable
substitute
> at the local auto parts store.
>
> Ron Sanders
> RSanders@domain.elided