Re: [uuc] 528i (4LE30) Automatic Transmission Fluid

Forwarding Brett A's reply on the subject that went only to the UUC
digest. I suspect people on this list will benefit from his advise as
well:

"KMS - Brett Anderson" <brett@domain.elided>
Sent by: owner-bmwuucdigest@domain.elided
Can't imagine any cons to changing your trans fluid.

The car takes Dexron III.  Every oil manufacturer in the world makes
Dexron
III, or an equivalent.

Use your favourite brand and change it at least every 60K miles,
preferably
every 30K miles, and that particular trans will never give you a problem.

Remember that BMW required Dexron III to be changed every 15K miles in the
80's and every 30K miles in the 90's.  How is it that the formula was not
renamed to Dexron IV or otherwise, if it suddenly became so much better?

Don't ever fall for the "lifetime" bullshit on any fluid or maintenance
item.
Lifetime means 100K miles to any car company, BMW included. If no other
car
companies had gone on the "reduced maintenance cost" bandwagon, BMW would
still insist on regular and realistic fluid changes, such as 5K-7.5K for
engine oil, 15K for trans and diff, etc.

Instead, they'd look archaic and stupid to your average, uneducated,
potential
BMW customer, when said customer compared them to MB and Audi, etc.  Only
those with half a brain (0.001% of new car buyers) look past the
advertising
crap.

There is a drain plug, and a fill plug, just like a diff.  Obviously, you
open
the fill plug first, so you don't get caught with your pants down.

General rule of thumb on BMW transmission fluid levels is:

Engine idling
Fluid temp between 30C and 50C
Headlights ON !!!! This is very important.
Fill fluid until it flows from fill plug.

BMW Special Tool Rentals
Pay per incident tech support
Brett Anderson
KMS