RE: 95 M3 steering problem

Alan,
>Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:13:36 -0600
>From: "Alan Leung" <alanleung100@domain.elided>
>Subject: 95 M3 steering problem
>
>Hi,
>
>I have been having some steering wheel vibration problem at about 75 mph.
>One shop says that the steering rack need replacement and another says the
>inner tie rod and ball joint at the left front wheel are worn out. One thing

>they agree on is the when the car is on a lift the left front wheel shows
>some play when pulled by hand. Lately the steering wheel vibration has
>reduced somewhat but the car is tracking left. Here are some of my
>questions:
>
>1. Who's explanation is more realistic?

      It's always dicey diagnosing vibration problems via email.  But since
both shops have seen play in the left wheel, it's very likely that's the
source of your problem - maybe not the only one, but at least you need to fix
it ans see if the vibration goes away.  The question is what component is
allowing the play?  Either mechanic could be right - you need to see for
yourself - or have them show you with the car on the hoist.  With the wheel
off the ground, grab it and tug.  Can you see which component gives?  The
steering knuckle (not the slight free play of the rack & pinion but play in
the knuckle itself)?  The outer ball joint?  The rear control arm busing?
The tie rod to the rack & pinion?  Also grab the top and bottom of the tire
and rock it to check the wheel bearings.

>2. Can the ball joint be replaced or the whole control arm has to come off?

I'm new to BMWs (had my '95 ti for a little over a year now), so I think
there are more knowlegeable folks on the digest.  But my understanding is
that the M3 requires a new control arm when the outer ball joint goes.
However, on all other E36 cars, the outer ball joint can be replaced without
a new control arm.  Not sure why this is.  But then, yours supposed to be
able to get strut cartridges for the M3 but you have to replace the whole
strut on the other E36s.  Go figure!  Has anyone on the digest tried to
replace the outer ball joint on an M3 control arm using the ball joint from
another E36?

>Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Alan

Cheers,