95 M3 steering problem

Hi,

I have been having some steering wheel vibration problem at about 75 mph.
One shop says that the steering rack need replacement and another says the
inner tie rod and ball joint at the left front wheel are worn out. One thing
they agree on is the when the car is on a lift the left front wheel shows
some play when pulled by hand. Lately the steering wheel vibration has
reduced somewhat but the car is tracking left. Here are some of my
questions:

1. Who's explanation is more realistic?
2. Can the ball joint be replaced or the whole control arm has to come off?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Alan