Exhaust manifold removal

Hi.
I need to remove my exhaust manifold (header) on my 91 318 (M42).
I tried a couple of nuts this morning, and as I was suspecting, the nuts
are rusted solid to the studs. By applying more force, I felt a movement,
but not the familiar "crack" of a bolt or nut that starts to move.  It'
feels like a bolt that is twisting and about to snap so I stopped there. Is
this normal due to steel studs vs aluminum head?

The cylinder head was cold, should it be hot?

Is it common on BMWs to break studs in the head. In the past I removed
manifolds from GM engine with iron heads and Toyota aluminum heads with out
problem.

Thanks for your help.

Michel.

PS: Can you also send a copy to my personnal adress since I'm in digest
mode.