Re: M3 question

"Gregory F. March" <march@domain.elided> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2002, "Jonathan Van Houtte" <Jonathan@domain.elided>  wrote:
>
>  |SMG has a small lever on the console that can be pushed forward to
>  |downshift and pulled back to upshift.  It is necessary to use the
lever
>  |to select reverse and to change from "manual" to "automatic" mode.
>  |Please note that all E46 M3s have the same transmission, but on the
SMG
>  |the clutch is actuated by computer-controlled hydraulics rather than
the
>  |driver's foot.
>
> I know the computer is faster/better/more accurate/whatever than a
> human, but just think how fun a BMW would be with an SMG *and* a
> clutch!

Would that make it a Sequential Hermaphrodite Gearbox (SHG ;-)?

The whole point behind hydraulically electronically activated clutch is to
take driver's slow and wobbly left foot out of the equation.
SMG is faster, can be synchronized with the DME to perfectly match engine
revs, and is mis-shift proof. Which is why it is used in F1 cars.

> Does anyone else feel that way?

Nope.

> The question for me is, will BMW or any other manufacturer ever
> introduce a sequential gearbox *with* a clutch?

As Jonathan explained above, a 6 speed manual is available but not very
popular on E46 M3s.
If you were referring to the race Hewland sequential gearboxes used on
many race cars (Skip Barber's Formula Dodge open wheel racers and M3 GTR
to name a few), if horrendous noise and high maintenance don't scare you
off, lack of the synchros will. In other words - not street worthy.

alex f