Re: M3 question

I think what he said is that there is no clutch actuator in the
cockpit, as there is most certainly a clutch in the drivetrain.

The SMG-II and standard M3/M5 6-speed are identical, with the sole
exception being the computer controller and hydraulics necessary to
select gears and actuate the clutch.

mjc
'99 ///M3

"Gregory F. March" wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2002, "Jonathan Van Houtte" <Jonathan@domain.elided>  wrote:
>
>  |SMG has a small lever on the console that can be pushed forward to
>  |downshift and pulled back to upshift.  It is necessary to use the lever
>  |to select reverse and to change from "manual" to "automatic" mode.
>  |Please note that all E46 M3s have the same transmission, but on the SMG
>  |the clutch is actuated by computer-controlled hydraulics rather than the
>  |driver's foot.
>
> No clutch?  Oh man...  I haven't been following BMW's development of
> the SMG (I thought it was "sequential *manual* gearbox", not "M"?),
> but I thought there was a clutch.  Guess not...  Bummer.
>
> I'm lucky enough to be able to drive the Barber Formula cars, and the
> newer R/T with the sequential gearbox is a total blast to drive.  The
> tranny is much better than what the older Formula Dodge had (not to
> mention the slicks and wings!).  I was *so* hoping something like this
> would make it into a street car.
>
> The question for me is, will BMW or any other manufacturer ever
> introduce a sequential gearbox *with* a clutch?

- --
    -= Mark Justin Cecil == New Orleans, LA == mjcecil@domain.elided =-
               -=o=- http://noml.dyndns.org/CP5000 -=o=-
    -= UNIX/Storage Architecture, Implementation, and Administration =-
                                -=o=-
          "The truth is the truth, no matter what you *believe*"