Re: M3 question

On Nov 11, 2002, "Jonathan Van Houtte" <Jonathan@domain.elided>  wrote:

 |SMG has a small lever on the console that can be pushed forward to
 |downshift and pulled back to upshift.  It is necessary to use the lever
 |to select reverse and to change from "manual" to "automatic" mode.
 |Please note that all E46 M3s have the same transmission, but on the SMG
 |the clutch is actuated by computer-controlled hydraulics rather than the
 |driver's foot.

No clutch?  Oh man...  I haven't been following BMW's development of
the SMG (I thought it was "sequential *manual* gearbox", not "M"?),
but I thought there was a clutch.  Guess not...  Bummer.

I know the computer is faster/better/more accurate/whatever than a
human, but just think how fun a BMW would be with an SMG *and* a
clutch!  Does anyone else feel that way?

I'm lucky enough to be able to drive the Barber Formula cars, and the
newer R/T with the sequential gearbox is a total blast to drive.  The
tranny is much better than what the older Formula Dodge had (not to
mention the slicks and wings!).  I was *so* hoping something like this
would make it into a street car.

The question for me is, will BMW or any other manufacturer ever
introduce a sequential gearbox *with* a clutch?

Cheers,

/greg

- --
Gregory F. March    -=-    http://www.gfm.net:81/~march    -=-    AIM:GfmNet