Re: Problem 2: electrical ('92 525i)

Drew Mouton <drew@domain.elided> wrote:
> Second notable problem with this car: a series of electrical accessory
> problems.
>
> All the driver-side windows work, but the center console switch won't
> activate the passenger side windows.

Drew,
Have you tried swapping the driver/passenger switches around? Does the
problem move to the other side?
Does the rear passenger window work if you use the button on the door?
If so you are in the market for new center console switches.
If not, check all things electrical: {fuses, wiring, window actuators,
etc}.

> Central locks don't work.

Ever?
>From all three locks?

> And when I try to lower the driver's window, it goes down...but so
> does the sunroof, at the same time. Wacky.

Indeed.
Do you have an aftermarket alarm or stereo installed in that car?
The only time I saw so many unexplained electrical problems in a friend's
car was after an installer butchered car's wiring hacking in an
aftermarket alarm.

> My E34 Bentley hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not entirely certain what
> I'm looking at, but it appears as though there are two control units
> and half a dozen relays under the rear seat/driver's side where the
> aux fuse box is. One of the units is clearly marked ABS. Is the other
> possibly a coordinated control for windows, locks and sun roof? Or
> should I be trying to test the relays?

Drew, sorry I can't help you with the specifics. I'm a 3-series guy.
But if BMW engineers have been consistent, you would have an SRS (airbag)
brain and ABS slave brain/wiring harness in there.
There is no coordination between central locking, windows and the sun
roof. Unless some alarm was attempted to hack into all three harness to
close all windows and the sunroof when it gets engaged.

alex f