Re: Koni Single Adjustable Shock Questions

Here's an excellent site that describes what you're looking for:

http://www.noahpaci.com/koni/

Replace the rear shock mounts with the mounts from the new E46 3-series.
They cost around $20 each, and will hold up much better than the weak E36
mounts.

The front Koni shocks are adjusted at the top of the shock tower, by turning
the adjusting screw.  The rear shocks must be removed from the car to adjust
them, because they must be mounted in a vice and fully compressed before you
can turn the adjusting screw.

I've read that someone (TC Kline? (http://www.tcklineracing.com) sells
modified rear shocks that are adjusted without removal, but I couldn't find
a web link to it.

Rear control arm bushings should be checked and replaced if they are worn.
Depending on type of use the car has seen, this can be as early as 40k
miles.  For higher mileage cars, (80-90k), you should have the front control
arm bushings checked, as well as the ball joints.

Don't bother replacing the rubber swaybar bushings with poly.  You won't
feel a huge improvement from them, but you will need to lubricate them
annually, because they'll start to squeak.

Other sources for Koni:

http://www.bimmerworld.com
http://www.ground-control.com/

Lots of places sell them online (for example, http://www.shox.com claims
lowest prices guaranteed, and Tire Rack sells them as well), but TC Kline,
Bimmerworld, and Ground Control develop suspensions for BMWs and know what
is best for your application.  Now, if you want to pick their brains and
then buy from a "lowest price" vendor, that's up to you.  But I recall
someone on another list conducting a price comparison, and the differences
were small enough to justify spending your money with the vendor who knows
the product, it's application to your BMW, and will support you after the
sale.  Bimmerworld and Ground Control fit in this category.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3
1993 E34 525iT
1999 Mazda Miata

>Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:30:57 -0700
>From: "Frank & Kirsten" <FranKirsten@domain.elided>
>Subject: Koni Single Adjustable Shock Questions
>
>From the feedback I have received, I'm going to try the Konis on my car.
>I have a few questions about the Koni (yellow) single adjustable shocks
>for a 1995 M3 (78K miles). It appears that the fronts are externally
>adjustable, is this correct? You just twist the knob a the top of the
>strut tower, is it that easy?
>In regards to installing the front shocks, it appears that they must be
>installed in my existing strut housings. Can anyone point me to
>instructions for this procedure?
>
>The rears are reported to be adjustable too, but how do you adjust them?
>Do you have to load the rear-end with the tire off and rotate the shock?
>I have read to replace the rear shock mounts (top) with the E46 mount,
>what are the benefits?
>
>Also, it was advised to change out the suspension bushings. Would
>urethane ones rattle out my tooth fillings for daily driving use? Are
>there some good ones on the market that can be recommended for street
>use that will give good performance at possible NASA track events type
>activities in the future?
>
>What online dealers are recommended for purchasing Konis and for
>bushings? Tire Rack had what seems like the lowest on the Konis.
>
>Thanks for the advice and info, Frank

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!