Koni Single Adjustable Shock Questions

At 04:44 PM 10/20/02, bmw-digest talked about:
> From the feedback I have received, I'm going to try the Konis on my car.
>I have a few questions about the Koni (yellow) single adjustable shocks
>for a 1995 M3 (78K miles). It appears that the fronts are externally
>adjustable, is this correct? You just twist the knob a the top of the
>strut tower, is it that easy?

Yes.

>In regards to installing the front shocks, it appears that they must be
>installed in my existing strut housings. Can anyone point me to
>instructions for this procedure?

Commonly called the "cut-n-gut" method <g>, I'll look to see if I have some
instructions on the home computer.

>The rears are reported to be adjustable too, but how do you adjust them?

They have to be removed from the car to be adjusted. Fully compress the
shock, and turn to adjust.

The Koni adjustment page is at:
http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.html

>I have read to replace the rear shock mounts (top) with the E46 mount,
>what are the benefits?

Basically, the stock E36 mount will wear out rather quickly. The E46 are a
bit better design, and if you're replacing the shocks this is the time to
upgrade/replace the mounts.

>Also, it was advised to change out the suspension bushings. Would
>urethane ones rattle out my tooth fillings for daily driving use? Are
>there some good ones on the market that can be recommended for street
>use that will give good performance at possible NASA track events type
>activities in the future?

Urethane bushings help reduce deflection - i.e. stiffer. Usually it's the
sway bar bushings that are replaced. They probably have minimal impact with
stock sway bars, both in regards to stiffness & NVH. I've got urethane
bushings with my UUC swaybars, no noticeable difference in NVH, but they do
require periodic (yearly or so) re-lubing to keep them quiet.

>What online dealers are recommended for purchasing Konis and for
>bushings? Tire Rack had what seems like the lowest on the Konis.

ProPartsWest and TC Kline Racing are two other choices.

Cheers,
Jim Bassett
1998 M3/4 - with new-to-me Koni SAs going in right now :-)
1992 325is #44 KP